Monday, 17 April 2017

A Huge Weekend Of Music

If this post is published today I want to give myself a medal.

Maybe a bit dramatic?  Probably but wow have I have a jam packed weekend and Monday!

Let me tell you all about it!


I feel like a scratched record saying this, but I play the clarinet.  I don't know how many times I've said that here on my blog but there we go again hahahah if I had a dollar for every time....

Over the Easter weekend, in my little hometown of Launceston, the Australian National Band Championships would be taking place.  And I would be tooting away on the clarinet with the band I'm in.  I've competed in these championships with the LC Symphonic people for ages now and it never gets any less nerve wracking.

Wednesday night, I could fall asleep because I was getting nervous over it all!  Last year for a set of championship, we had a test piece called Angels in the Architecture and it's a truly amazing piece of music.  But has the most exposed clarinet solo and I was the lucky person who got to play it.  I was nervous for that.  This year in one of the pieces we're playing, we've dedicated it to a past clarinet member who passed away, so it's quite emotional.  I am more nervous for this piece than what I was for the Angels solo.  Funny how things work...

I was only playing in the Open A Grade section this year as I wasn't listed as a permit player (phew) so it was nice to only have to worry about the one section and be able to listen to everyone else.  I wasn't needed until the afternoon but there were some stalls I wanted to check out and I also wanted to see the other sections so I could cheer on our younger bands!

I felt like a proud parents standing side stage and then out in the audience watching the younger bands.  I don't think I've ever really appreciate the percussion section and watching them from the side was just incredible!  They were just amazing and my hands were sore from clapping afterwards.

The only section I was competing in was the Open A-Grade and we knew we weren't going to win!  Something drastic would have had to happen with the other competing bands for us to win!  There were a few blips on stage and moments where I physically didn't have a clue what to do.  And that's never happened before and was preparing for a train crash of a performance and everything coming to a hault but somehow we got through it all!

AND WE CAME THIRD!!!!!

We were accepting that we'd come last but we came third!!

I had family and my best friend watching the live stream and it was just awesome to know that they were able to see us on stage.
   

Sunday arrived and I was back up getting ready for another day as we had the Gala concert.  We'd be performing alongside Vox Harmony choir and were playing a few fun pieces.

The Gala was opened with two brass bands and OMG THEY WERE SO GOOD!  Probably my favourite moment in the concert was one of the percussion guys!  He was just hilarious and was just running all over the stageHe even had the time to take a selfie, was probably one of the most captivating performances!

The band performing after us played Angels In The Architecture and I was desperate to hear this.  It was a test piece last year and I got ot play the clarinet solo and really wanted to hear it again.  And let me just say the girl who performed the solo.  Beautiful.  We stood up to applause at the end and again my hands were burning from clapping afterwards!

I had a fangirl moment after the concert when I met the girl.  She was incredible and I just wanted to congratulate herWe spoke for a while afterwards and it was lovely to meet her and other members of their band and I'm like I am your number one fan!!


I'm writing this section ahead of time, as I'm in town all day today again being involved with music.  Monday was the day scheduled for the solo and party championships and while I wasn't competing in that myself, I was helping out running the BBQ with my saxophone friend Natalie!  Talk about BBQ pros!  And, I also wanted to see my friend Amity and Cameron perform!


While working at the BBQ we also got to meet the percussion guy I mentioned earlier.  My day was made!  He was lovely to talk to and gave us a lot of ideas for future performance!

Although it has been such a busy few days I have absolutely loved it!  Moments like these where I love that I play the clarinet.  You get so many opportunities to meet people and I've met some friends for life through music.

I am buggered now and would love a good long sleep!

How was your Easter Weekend?  Let me know what you got up too!

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x

2 comments:

  1. What a weekend, Em! Congratulations on coming third! That's bloody fantastic. Also, all these concerts and events sound amazing. I wish I knew how to decently play at least one instrument. I mean, I kind of play guitar but in reality I'm rubbish at it, haha. Anyways, sounds like you had a great time. I spend my Easter eating a lot of chocolate, food, a bit more chocolate and just visiting my relatives :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! They are so much fun (even if you don't win ;) hahaha) but they remind me of why I love playing the clarinet! The weekend was intense but so worth it! Glad you have a lovely Easter as well :) Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx