Friday, 14 April 2017

Good Friday + Easter Cupcakes!

Today is Good Friday.

Whether you celebrate this day or treat it as a normal day, I hope you have a wonderful day!


I made some cupcakes (to an interesting quality) and gave them a small twist for the Easter period.  They were simple to make and although not perfect (thanks to my fab baking skills) they still tasted delicious and it was something nice to bake for my family.

The recipe is from Taste.com.au and is just a classic cupcake recipe!  And for the icing, I went with a chocolate buttercream recipe from Kidspot Kitchen.

INGREDIENTS:
Cupcakes
  • 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 125g butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Chocolate buttercream icing
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
  • 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
  • 2 tbsp milk  
NOTE:  I halved the recipe for the icing as I was only going to need enough icing for 5 cupcakes!

RECIPE:
  • Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced.  Line a muffin tray with paper cases, or grease a 12 x 1/3 cup capacity muffin pan.  Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl.  Make a well in the centre.
  • Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture.  Using a large metal spoon, stir gently to combine.
  • Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pans.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Stand in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire wrack to cool.
  • Make icing:
    •  Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.
    •  Add the icing sugar and cocoa a little at a time until fully incorporated.
    • When this is fully combined add the milk and the chocolate buttercream will become light and fluffy.

Taste also provided a video with this recipe so if you follow the link above you'll be able to see how to make it!  My mixture didn't look as runny as theirs but I don't know if I over mixed it or should have added in a touch more milk...  But it still turned out all good!  And when my fam had a little taste test they all loved them!  So I will be using this recipe again in the future :)


To decorate my cupcakes I did made some icing buttercream icing and also grabbed some little Easter eggs and placed them on top!  And because it's Easter, I used these really cute yellow paper cases with eggs on them!  Very in keeping with the time of year!

I was using a hand held electric mixer and it took me longer than I anticipated to make the buttercream icing but it was all worth it!  Made a bit of a mess too but isn't that expected when baking hahaha

I am no expert at baking or decorating baked goods.  To get the icing onto the cupcakes I just spooned it on and roughly smoothed everything over with a knife and I love how they turned out!  I hadn't made buttercream icing since I was 14 years old and that's pretty much ten years ago hahahahha

And to top things off, I grabbed some little Lindt Easter Eggs which mum had bought and popped two on top of each of the cupcakes.  There is a range of white, milk and dark chocolate so I think everyone will be happy! 


I loved making these for the fam and was inspired by the baking goodness from Zoella.  I had originally wanted to try her Chocolate Nests but had a craving for cupcakes!  In recent times, I have really loved being in the kitchen and find it to be a place where I can relax, experiment and just have fun!  I love trying new things and making classics and also love sharing them here with you all :)

Again, whatever you get up to today, I hope you have a lovely day.  Remember to be kind and don't go too hard on the chocolate ;) 

Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx