Monday, 8 May 2017

How I Plan To Make A Happier Life For Me

A common New Years Resolution is to have some sort of a lifestyle change. 

Be it that you want to start working out and going to the gym, eating more healthy food, drinking less alcohol, you know the usual ones.  And in the past I've been that person who had a list of changes she wanted to make.

This year, I did write down My 6 Completely Reasonable & Achievable Goals For 2017, and not going to lie, this is a tricky list to achieve.  Avengers and Hogwarts, I am yet to hear from you yet!


I've broken down my lifestyle changes into 3 categories, exercise, food and then me.  They relate to each other and go hand in hand and I haven't yet thought of how to finish this sentence.

EXERCISE

Oh exercise.  How I have a love/hate relationship with you.  Finding a form of exercise that I enjoy is proving to be interesting.  I need to get back into swimming as it's something I adored back when I was in my primary and high school years.  I have the swimsuit, I just need to hit the pool.

I've dabbled with other forms of exercise with varying success.  I love YouTube because there is an unlimited supply of workout videos for you to follow.  And I've used these in the past, Lucy Wyndham-Read, Blogilates, Niomi Smart, Danielle Peazer and Carly Rowena to name a few who I find great to workout alongside.  I love that there is a varying form of exercise types for you to try.  HIIT workouts, pilates, dancing - so much choice!  This is one aspect of YouTube fitness because you're given options and if you get bored of one type of exercise there is always going to be something else.

We have an exercise bike and I go in waves of whether I'll use it.  I have to be in the right mood to use the exercise bike.  It's another story actually riding a bike outside because I feel like I'm actually making progress.  And music only goes so far hahah

Walking is something I can do, just grab headphones, pop my shoes on and start walking.  I'm lucky because I can walk around my home and just do lap after lap after lap.  I'm working my way to jogging and running for longer, that's a goal I have.  To enjoy running.  That'll be fun.

And lastly, skipping.  Last time I did some skipping was in primary school.  I've been out of primary school for 11 years.  So you can imagine how great I was when I attempted to skip.  Wasn't pretty but at least I didn't fall over hahaha  when I got the hang of it again, I loved it.  And dayuuuum did I feel it afterwards.  Some people do skipping as a warm up before their actual workout, I need to do a bit of a warmup/stretch before I skip hahah

I just need to keep my workouts varied and not continually do the same thing over and over again, because I know that will end in my not doing any exercise at all!

Also the people who feel great after they've done exercise...?  HOW?!  I can't say I share the same feelings hahaha I feel anything other than great when I've finished working out :(


FOOD

Ah food.  In recent years and months especially, I've been discovering what foods I like and don't like.  I was never really a picky eater as a child but now as a young adult, I am definitely more selective in what I want to eat.

I don't follow any diets.  I eat what I like to eat and what makes me feel good inside and out.

I started drinking almond milk a while ago and didn't expect to like it as much as I do.  I prefer to drink this over dairy milk.  I haven't switched to drinking dairy free milk 100% but when and where I can, I will drink dairy free.  Dairy milk just doesn't sit right with me anymore.

I don't like the idea of eating foods where I can't pronounce or know exactly what is in them.  Half the words sound made up to be honest and I don't know what they are and that doesn't gel with me anymore.  I don't want to say clean eating, because that term can get so muddled.  I just want to know what I am putting into my body, simple as that.

Probably taking after my mum by buying so many cookbooks but one extra cookbook won't hurt?  Hope not!  I have Niomi Smarts book Eat Smart (which I mentioned in my April Top Five), Ella Woodwards three Deliciously Ella cookbooks and another one which is full of plant based recipes and these are some cookbooks that I want to have a good sit down with and buy ingredients for.  Some people will probably think I'm going to go down the track of a plant based diet.  I have thought of it, and it's something I will be looking into.  However I just want to do research and see if it actually works for me.  I will be honest, I love vegetables more than meat so going vegetarian is something more realistic for me at this stage.  Watch this space.

And water!  My goodness how I struggle with drinking water consistently.  Some days it's good and some days, I don't even know why I bothered it was that bad!



ME

I don't know how to word this section if I'm honest.  It's easy to write about exercise and food but I don't know how to write about me.

Self love?  Appreciating me more? I need to take time out for me.  Last Friday, I uploaded a post called The Importance Of Rest, Relaxation & Rejuvenation and I need to take a leaf out of my book and follow through with points I mentioned in this post.

I was thinking about this earlier, and was wondering whether I actually appreciate myself?  And there are days when I don't and it's more often than not.  Getting constantly rejected for jobs takes a hit each time those emails come in and it gets me thinking that I'm not good enough.  And not just not good enough for the job I applied for but good enough in general.  And that ain't good.  Instead of getting down about it, I'm applying for more jobs.  I'm putting myself out there and actively doing something for my future, and I'm so chuffed with myself for that.

I'm working on understanding that everything happens for a reason.  I've always thought I understood this but I think it's taken a whole new meaning in the recent past.  I might not be right for a job, but there is one out there that is right for me!

So some me time is in order for me.  I don't know how exactly I'll be doing this for myself but I'm sure I'll find a way.  I did list some good ways in last Fridays post so I think I'll start there :)

I want to get a routine back in my life.  I miss university (bold statement).  But the biggest reason for missing it was the routine and structure it gave my life.  I had goals to work towards and I genuinely miss that.  So creating a routine that I can use in my life now, is something I need for a happier me.

But a big thing that I'm working on for me is that I'm getting into driving lessons.  And usually this would freak me out and I'd feel sick about them but man bring it on!

Oh and hello long post!!  Gave you a bit of a read haha  Have any of you made any lifestyle changes so you can lead a happier lifestyle?  How have you gone with them?
Until next time, keep smiling :)  Em xx

PS!  Come and say hello!!! :) x

6 comments:

  1. Your food changes sound amazing. I'd love to switch up my eating habits a bit and look into what I'm actually eating more!xx

    Lucy x | lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel so uncomfortable not knowing what I'm eating!! I'm looking forward to seeing how everything goes :) Em xx

      Delete
  2. I love your little changes and I want to wish you all the best with them. I'd love to exercise more as I'm so out of shame, it's getting ridiculous. But I'm horrible at keeping my motivation for it. I always give up after two weeks or so. I love walking and hiking, so I do that more. Oh, also bicycling. But I haven't got time to do much of it recently.
    Now to answer your questions, I didn't do any big changes in my lifestyle. I started giving myself more credits for the things I do and I sort of became more confident but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my lifestyle, haha :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leta!! I'll get there with everything and it will be such an important learning experience for me :) I definitely need to give myself more credit what the things that I achieve, doesn't matter how big or small :) Em xx

      Delete
  3. These are some great lifestyle changes that I'm sure will see you leading a happier life! I love swimming - it doesn't feel like exercise and is so relaxing, I find! Good luck with these changes x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimee!! I just neeeeeed to get back into the pool, I'm the same - it does NOT feel like exercise at all!! :) Em xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading each and every one of them and will always reply to them whenever I can!

Please feel free to leave your blog links when you comment, as I always love to read new blog!

If you want a quick response for any questions you have, you can always send me a tweet: @emmadaisy___ :) Em xx